300 ml heavy cream
- Whip the cream.
- Chop fruit coarsely, but don't crush.
- Break meringue into large crumbs.
- Mix everything shortly before serving and pile into glasses.
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh coconut, finely grated
3 cups cake flour, sifted
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp orange rind
SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING:
2 egg whites, unbeaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tbsp cold water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar OR
1 1/2 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups coconut, finely shredded
mandarin orange sections, for garnish
1/4 tsp orange rind
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together twice.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add 1/4 cup of sugar and set aside.
- Cream butter until fluffy and add the remaining sugar and egg yolks, mixing well.
- Add flour, alternating with milk and coconut milk, and blend until smooth.
- Add vanilla and the 1/4 cup grated coconut. Last, fold in egg whites.
- Bake in 3 well-buttered 8" circular layer pans in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Cover with Seven Minute Frosting
- To prepare Seven Minute Frosting place egg whites, sugar, cold water, cream of tartar or corn syrup, and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Place over rapidly boiling water, beating constantly with an egg beater, for 7 minutes or until icing will stand in peaks.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and continue to beat until thick enough to spread.
- When entire cake has been frosted, sprinkle coconut and orange rind generously over the top and sides Then decorate the top with orange sections.
Marshmallow & Nut Ambrosia
1 19oz. can pineapple bits, drained
1 10oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 apple, chopped (macintosh or red delicious)
1 cup halved green grapes, halved
1 cup marshamllows
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs, beaten
4 Tbs. sugar
4 Tbs. vinegar
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp. sugar
dash of vanilla
- Mix together all fruits, marshmallows and nuts; set aside.
- In a small saucepan mix together eggs, sugar and vinegar, bring to a boil, stir constantly and cook 1 minute; cool.
- Whip together whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until peaks appear.
- Pour cooked egg mixture over fruit and stir to coat. Fold in whipped cream and chill until ready to serve.
Mandarin Coconut Ambrosia
18 oz. Cook Whip
16 oz. Sour cream
1 bag Miniature marshmallows
2 cans Mandarin oranges, drained
1 can Pineapple tidbits (large can), drained
14 oz. Coconut
- Mix cool Whip and sour cream. Add oranges and pineapple.
- Mix in the coconut well and add marshmallows.
Ambrosia Filled Angelfood Cake
1 large angel food cake
--- Ambrosia filling: ---
3 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup shredded coconut meat
1/2 cup blueberries
1 kiwi fruit
- Purchase a large angel food cake, or use a homemade one.
- Starting 1 inch down from top, slice the top from cake. Lay aside to use later. Using a serrated knife and a spoon, cut out the inside of the cake, leaving a wall around all sides. Do not cut through to bottom. You will be using the cavity for the filling.
- Whip the cream and the confectioner's sugar until slightly stiff peaks form.
- Using half the cream, gently fold in the fruit and coconut, leaving out a few blueberries and the kiwi fruit for the top.
- Stuff the cavity with this fruit filling. Replace the top you earlier cut away.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream on top and sides of cake; sprinkle a few blueberries around and decorate with overlapping slices of the thinly cut kiwi fruit. Decorate with any other fruit you prefer, and chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- This make an elegant dessert to serve on special occassions.
Fruit & Nut Ambrosia
1 Can chunk pineapple (20 oz.), drained
1 Can mandarin oranges (11 oz., drained
1 1/2 Cups seedless grapes, red and green
1 Cup miniature marshmallows
1 Cup flaked coconut
1/2 Cup pecans, chopped
3/4 Cup dairy sour cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
- Combine pineapple, oranges, grapes, marshmallows, coconut, and pecans.
- Mix sour cream and sugar. Stir into fruit mixture. Chill.
2 med banana, peeled and sliced
8 1/2 oz pineapple, crushed & drained
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup coconut, toasted
1 cup seedless grapes
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- Combine bananas, pineapple, marchmallows, 1/2 cup coconut, grapes and walnuts in a bowl.
- Beat together whipping cream, lime juice, sugar and lime peel until stiff peaks form. Fold in oranges.
- Spoon onto dessert plates or into tall glasses. Sprinkle each serving with remaining coconut.
Low Fat Ambrosia
20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice
11 ounces mandarin oranges
1 banana, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups seedless grapes
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup almonds, chopped (optional)
8 ounces nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Drain pineapple and oranges. Combine pineapple, oranges, banana, grapes, marshmallows, coconut and almonds.
- Fold in yogurt. Chill.