Bean Sprout Bonanza
This document last modified
Bean Sprout Salad with Garlic
2 tablespoons Sesame seeds
1 pound Fresh bean sprouts, rinsed
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 medium Scallions, minced
1 1" cube ginger, minced
2 tablespoons Oriental sesame oil
1/3 cup Soy sauce
2 tablespoons Cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 teaspoons Light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Spicy sesame oil
Preheat oven to 350°
- Toast the sesame seeds by spreading them over the bottom of a pie tin and roast for 12-to-16 minutes, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Place the bean sprouts in a large heatproof bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium-size skillet set over moderately low heat, stir-fry the garlic, scallions and ginger in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes, add all the remaining ingredients except bean sprouts.
- Increase the heat to moderate and boil the mixture, uncovered, for 1 minute to slightly reduce the liquid.
- Pour the boiling dressing over the bean sprouts, toss well, then cover the bowl and chill the salad for several hours.
- Toss again before serving.
Go to top
Californian Bean Sprout Salad
1 head Romaine lettuce
1 head leaf lettuce
2 cups bean sprouts, blanched
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup cucumber,diced
1 red pepper, julienned
1 avocado, cubed
1 hard-boiled egg
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In saucepan, bring 1 quart water to a boil. Add the bean sprouts and blanch for two minutes; remove from heat, drain in a colander and run under very cold water; set aside
- Mash boiled egg; set aside
- In a small bowl, blend vinegar, sugar and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine bean sprouts, cucumbers, red pepper and avocado.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and toss well.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the bean sprout mixture and toss to combine; cover bowl tightly and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces and divide equally among 4-6 salad plates. Top with the sprout mixture, sprinkle with the chopped egg.
Go to top
Thanks to for the border used on this page. It took me hours to find just the right one!