|Creative simplicity for inspiring memorable home-cooked breakfasts.
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes
2 oz. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbs. milk
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
pepper to taste
- Mix flour, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in milk and egg. Slowly combine by bring the flour from the edges of the bowl into the center. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Peel and coarsely grate the potoates, rinse with water and drain well. Pat with paper towel to eliminate as much water as possible.
- Stir grated potato into flour mixture unitl well blended.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place heaping tablespoons of the potato mixture into the sizzling oil; flatten slightly with a spatula.
- Fry the fritter for 2-3 minutes until golden browm, flip carefully with a spatula and cood another 2-3 mintues until crisp.
- Remove fritters from frying pan, drain on paper towel and keep warm in the oven while you fry remaining potato mixture.
Serving suggestions & Notes:
These fritters are similar to potato latkes, but are slightly fluffier. Versatile and delicious, try them as an accomniament to grilled meats of fish at dinner time. You can make extra at breakfast and cook the next day for dinner.
Recipe serves: 4
Chevre & Leek Fritatta
6 large leeks, sliced
3 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup chevre
4 oz. cream cheese
pepper to taste
- Cut the root and thick outer skin from the leeks. Rinse very well to get rid of all the sand.
- Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices, and rinse again.
- Melt 3 Tbs of the butter and 1 olive oil in a large pan, add the leeks, and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the sugar.
- Contnue to saute the leeks over low heat for about 30 minutes or until very soft. The long slow cooking makes them sweet.
- In a large bowl beat together the chevre and the eggs, add the cooked leeks and mix well.
- With the remaining butter, grease a spring form pan well, and pour in the egg/leek mixture.
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and sprinkle over top of egg mixture.
- Place a cook sheet on the rack below the fritatta as the mixture may leak a little.
- Cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees; remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge, let sit 5 mintues and serve.
Recipe serves 6
Simple Breakfast Casserole
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbs. butter
1 large spanish onion, chopped
4 slices bacon
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
- Spread cheese on the bottom of a well greased square baking dish.
- Saute the onions in the butter for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Spread sauteéd onions over cheese.
- Cook bacon, but not too crispy, chop and sprinkle over onions.
- Combine eggs, milk and pepper, pour into baking dish over all other ingredients.
- Bake for 60 minutes or unitl puffed and set in the center.
Recipe serves: 6
Scrambled Egg Casserole
1/2 cup butter
2 tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1 cup cooked ham, cubed
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
12 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter; add flour, salt, and pepper and stir with a whisk unitl mixture is well blended and begins to bubble
- Gradually add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, whisking contantly.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in cheese until until cheese is melted. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tbsp. butter. Saute ham and onions until ham is lightly browned.
- Add eggs, and stir until the begin to set, about two minutes. Add the mushrooms and the cheese sauce, mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into a well greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter, toss with bread brumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Cover and refrigerate or overnight
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Recipe serves: 6-8
SouthWestern Style Eggs
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onion, diced
1/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 oz. cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup chunky salsa
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
- Melt butter is a large skillet ans saute onions and green pepper until tender
- Beat eggs, milk, salsa, garlic powder, salt & pepper together.
- Pour egg mixture over onions and green pepper, sprinkle cream cheese over top. Cook over low heat, using a spatula to push cooked eggs from sides and bottom to the top as required.
- Eggs are doen when the cream cheese has melted. Eggs shoudl still be a bit moist.