|Want to learn about meat??
Really learn? This is the book for you.
|Succulent ribs, from the grill or oven!
Lu's Shepherds Pie
6 Medium Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Pinch Nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
1 Tablespoon dried sage
1 Pound ground beef
1/4 cup water
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
1 beef bouillon cube
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
- For topping, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold, salted water.
- Bring to boil, then simmer partially covered 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Add milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash potatoes until smooth and fluffy. Keep warm.
- For filling, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, parsley, thyme and sage.
- Cook 5 minutes or until onions have softened slightly.
- Add beef and water to pan, stirring frequently to break up meat; cook until no longer pink, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots; cover, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stirring continuously, add flour, bouillon cube, sugar, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 5 minutes. Skim and discard any fat.
- Place meat mixture in buttered ovenproof casserole dish about 9 inches square.
- Spread potato mixture on top. Score topping using prongs of fork.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 30 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown on top and filling is hot.
6 ounces pasta, uncooked
1 pound lean ground beef
14 1/2 ounce can mexican tomatoes, undrained
15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounces can tomato sauce
11 ounces can corn, drained
4 ounces can green chiles, chopped and undrained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook pasta to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile in large saucepan or dutch oven, brown ground beef over med-high heat; drain.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Cook until thoroughly heated. Gently stir in pasta; sprinkle with cilantro.
1 lb. lean ground beef
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup Hickory flavoured BBQ sauce
2 Tbs. dijon mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Shape into patties and BBQ or cook under the broiler.
These are very flavourful, moist patties. We top them with a little extra
BBQ sauce, sliced onions, and fresh tomatoes on a toasted onion burger bun
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
4 lb. pork roast
2 sliced onions
1 chopped onion
2 c. water
16 oz. bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
salt and pepper
- Place one sliced onion at the bottom of a crock pot.
- Stud pork roast with cloves and season with salt and pepper.
- Place roast in crock pot on top of the sliced onion. Cover with the second sliced onion and add enough water to fill crock pot two-thirds of the way.
- Cover and cook on low 8-12 hours (or overnight).
- Remove roast. Remove and discard cloves and bone as well as any water, onions and grease remaining in pot.
- When meat is cool enough to handle, use a fork or your fingers to pull it apart until the entire roast is shredded.
- Return the pulled pork to the crock pot. Mix in the chopped onion and the BBQ sauce and cover. Heat on high for 1-3 hours or until the onions are soft
Notes: Serve on large, crusty buns with a mustard-based Carolina-style BBQ sauce. Garnish with dill pickle spears, thinly sliced raw onion and pickled pepperoncini (Italian banana peppers). Serve with crisp,homemade cole slaw (either on the side or on the sandwich).
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, about 2 slices of bread)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
Ingredients for sauce 1 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. white vinegar
1/2 cup beef broth
1 green pepper, chopped
1 19 oz. can pineapple pieces (drain & reserve juice)
1/4 tsp. ginger
Dash soy sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine, ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, onion, garlic, egg, worcestershire, salt and pepper. Mix well and form into 1 inch meatballs. don not handle too much.
- Place meatballs in a single layer in a lightly greased casserole and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, make the sauce by combining cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, beef broth & 1 cup of the reserved pineapple juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often until thickened.
- Add in green pepper, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add in pineapple pieces and remaining seasonings. Heat through.
- Pour over cooked meatballs and serve.
Leftovers can be frozen.
Fool Proof Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery chopped
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbs. ketchup or tomato paste
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. slat
1/2 tsp. pepper
- Place all ingredients is a large bowl and with your hands mix together well.
- Pack meat mixture into a loaf pan, smoothing top with your hands or a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until no longer pink; remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Country Glazed Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tomato juice
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl combine mix together ketchup, tomato juice, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, onions, and mustard. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add ground beef, mix gently until combined. Line a loaf pan with tin foil, and gently press in the beef mixture. Don't press too hard or the meat loaf will be heavy.
- In a separate bowl, combine all topping ingredients, blend well. Spread evenly over top of meat loaf.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until meat loaf is done and no pink shows when sliced.
- Remove from overn, drain off fat and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Best Beef Stew
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
2 pounds beef stew meat
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 whole parsley sprigs, chopped
1 whole bay leaf
1 cup tomato sauce
4 cups beef bouillon
1 cup red wine
4 carrots, peeled & quartered
3 small potatoes, peeled & quartered
3 parsnip, thickly sliced
1 bouquet garni
- Season flour with salt and pepper to taste, thyme and oregano.
- Dredge meat in flour. In a large soup kettle, brown meat in hot olive oil.
- Add garlic and onions and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, tomatoes sauce, bouillon, and wine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over very low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add broth, water or wine as necessary.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as required.
- Add carrots, parsnips and potatoes and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender.
Notes: To prepare this recipe in the Crockpot, follow directions as above, but transfer to crockpot and cook for about 8 hours adding vegetables at the beginning. Veggies will be very very tender.
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup tomato juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 pounds stew meat
4 pounds short ribs
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add browned meat of your choice; reduce heat and cook until meat is tender.
Notes: We especially like this prepared with short ribs served with mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce. If you prepare it with stew meat, I like to serve it over broad egg noodles.
Pennsylvania Pot Roast
1 1/2 pounds eye of round roast
3/4 cup beef broth
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup canned tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup carrot, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup turnip, diced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
4 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 small red potatoes, cooked
- Place a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add roast and brown on all sides.
- Add broth and next nine ingredients to the apn; bring to a boil, cover and then reduce heat. Simmer for 3 hours.
- Slice roast; place on a serving platter and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium, and cook liquid for 10 minutes to reduce. Discard peppercorns and bay lead and pour over sliced roast.
Serve with cooked red potatoes and salad.
Spicy Roast Beef
3 pounds Beef, Eye of round, sirloin or sirloin tip
2 teaspoons Dry mustard
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
- Make a layer of sliced onion on the bottom of oven-proof pot. Rub the dry mustard over entire surface of meat.
- Mix up the rest of the ingredients in big measuring cup and spread it over the roast. Now, place the roast atop the onion layer in pot.Let stand several hours.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat oven to hottest (450 or 500 degrees) and roast 15 minutes. Then turn back oven to 350 degrees and roast 45 minutes or longer, depending on desired doneness.Use your meat thermometer to determine time.
Serve with: Scalloped potatoes and buttered grean beans. Hot rolls are nice too.
For an excellent gravy use the pan juices and cooked onions, flour,chicken stock, and pepper.
Pork Chop & Potato Casserole
8 pork loin chops 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp. vegetable oil 2 cans cream of celery soup 2/3 cup milk 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper 3 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- divided 1 can french-fried onions
- Sprinkle pork chops with seasoned salt. In a skillet, brown chops on both sides in oil. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in hash browns, grated cheese and the onions. Spread into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Arrange pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle with more grated cheese and onions. Bake uncovered 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender, cheese is melted and meat juices run clear.
Ribs with Hoisin BBQ Sauce
1 pound country style ribs (bone in)
6 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup ketchup
2 garlic clove, minced
1/2 medium red onions, finely diced
6 plum tomatoes, coarsely diced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to high. Place ribs in Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- Remove ribs from water and place on heated grill. Baste generously with sauce. Cook on grill for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally and basting frequently.
- Optional: after parboiling ribs, cool and place in heavy-duty zip lock bag. Pour BBQ sauce over ribs and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours to 2 days.