This document last modified July 5th, 1997 .
Braised Radishes With Raspberry Vinegar
450 g trimmed radishes -- rinsed and drained
2 1/2 Tbls sugar
75 ml raspberry vinegar (or red-wine vinegar)
15 g unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl snipped fresh chives
Go to top
- In a skillet or saucepan just large enough to hold the radishes in one layer, combine the sugar, vinegar, butter, salt, 1/2 cup water, and the larger radishes.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, covered, and add the smaller radishes. Simmer the radishes, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer the radishes for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until they are just tender.
- Transfer the radishes with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm, covered.
- Boil the braising liquid until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup, or is the slightly thickened consistency of a glaze.
- Add the radishes and salt and pepper to taste, and swirl the skillet to coat the radishes thoroughly with the glaze.
- Sprinkle the radishes with the chives.
Smashed Radishes in Soy Dressing
2 Dozen fresh red radishes
2 ts Salt
1 t White vinegar
1 t Sugar
3 ts Thin soy sause
3 tb Peanut oil
1 t Sesame oil
1/4 ts Fresh ginger juice
Chinese parsley garnish
- Remove heads and tails from radishes; wash.
- Using bottom of heavy drinking glass, about 2" across base, hit radishes on side to crack them - not mash them (so dressing can get into flesh).
- Sprinkle radishes all over with salt, put them in a bowl, and set aside for about 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, thin soy sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil and fresh ginger juice.
- Drain liquid from radishes (salt will have drawn off quite a bit of water); pour dressing over them; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Double amount of vinegar for a sharper taste, if desired.
If you make this dish ahead of time, pour on dressing 30
minutes before serving. Immediately before serving, transfer radishes to serving dish; garnish with Chinese parsley and serve.
Go to top
Back to Lu's Recipe Extravaganza
To Download these recipes in text format click here
To Download these recipes in Mastercook format click here