Confetti Corn Chowder
1 oz butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, diced
1 lb. potatoes, diced
1 oz. flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
6 oz. frozen sweet corn, thawed
8 oz. chopped cooked ham
3/4 cup table cream
1/2 tsp. salt
ground white pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium soup pot; add the onion, red pepper, and potatoes.
- Saute for 5 minutes stirring occassionally; reduce heat. Sprinkle flour over vegetables, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add chicken stock, bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add ham, corn, cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Spoon into serving bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Cream of Broccoli
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 Tbs. butter
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups broccoli flowerets & stems
1/2 cup table cream
1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot ans sautee onions until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, and cook stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken stock, stirring to ensure that there are no lumps. Simmer until slightly thickened.
- Bring sauce to a boil, add broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender.
- Puree broccoli/sauce mixture in a belnder or food processor until very smooth. it's best to do this is a couple of batches.
- Return puree to the soup pot, add cream and pepper and simmer over at a low temperature until heated through. Do Not Boil !
Split Pea & Mixed Vegetable Soup
1 Pound yellow split peas -- dried
2 Quarts water
2 Teaspoons thyme -- dried
2 onions -- chopped
2 carrot -- chopped
2 leeks -- chopped
1/2 cup fresh fennel -- chopped
- Soak the split peas in water to cover overnight; rinse and drain. OR boil hot water to cover peas and let sit for 45 minutes. Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Saute the onions, carrots and fennel in a small amount of oil or butter until just translucent. Add the peas, cook 2 minutes. Add water to the stock pot and stir.
- Bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth; re-season to taste with salt and pepper.
Squash Soup with Stilton
10 oz. pkg frozen pureed squash (or make your own)
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
4 green onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup stilton cheese
Pepper to taste
Garlic Croutons (optional)
- Combine squash puree and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Cook covered until squash melts complete, or if using homemade just simmer unitl heated through.
- Stir in the green onions, cumin and pepper
- Remove from heat, pour into bowls and top with crumbled Stilton cheese and garlic croutons.
Thai Seafood Soup
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 sweet red pepper
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup canned tomatoes & juice
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
3 cups water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 lb. halibut
1/2 lb. scallops
1/2 lb. shrimp
salt & pepper
1/4 cup corriander
2 Tbsp. fresh basil
2 Tbsp. fresh mint
2 Tbs. fresh chives
- Peel and finely mince garlic cloves. Remove green part of leeks, cut white part into long thin strips.
- Thoughroughly wash sliced leeks, making sure to rinse away all grit. Pat dry with
- Slice red pepper in half, remove seeds, and slice into thin strips.
- In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes and juice.
- Using the finest side of your grate, grate lemon rind.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, leek and hot pepper flakes; cook until softened but not browned (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add curry powder, cook stirring 1 minute. Stir in red pepper, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lemon rind. Bring to a boil; add water, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While broth is simmering, cut halibut fillet into bite size chunks; peel and devein shrimps.
- >Add halibut, shrimp and scallops to broth; cook 5 minutes until fish in cooked through and shrimp have turned pink.
- Chop all fresh herbs, and mix together in a bowl. Spoon soup into serving bowls, and
sprinkle with herbs.
Dill Matzoh Ball Soup
Tbsp. chicken fat
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh dill
2 Tbsp. chicken soup
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and mix in oil. Set aside. In another bowl, combine matzo meal, salt.
- Finely chop dill, and add to dry ingredients. Combine egg mixture, dry ingredients, and chicken soup. Lightly mix.
- Cover matzo ball mix, and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
- Slightly moisten hands with water. Shape well rounded tablespoonfuls of matzo mixture into balls. (Approximately the size of a golf ball). Continue to keep hands moistened to prevent sticking until all the matzo mixture is used.
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt, pepper, and 1 tsp chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil.
- Add matzo balls to boiling water, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Remove cooked matzo balls from water. They should now be about the size of small baseballs.
- Pour homemade chicken soup into a pot, add matzo balls. Simmer over a low temperature for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
Hot & Sour Shrimp Soup
6 cups Chicken stock
2 small onions, slivered
2-1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
3 tbs Soy sauce
3 tbsp Rice vinegar
2 tbsp. Worcestershiresauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tbsp Minced gingerroot
1 Clove garlic, minced
l tsp Sesame oil
l/2 lb Peeled deveined,medium shrimp
1/4 lb Tofu
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp Cornstarch
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chives or green onions, chopped
- In large saucepan, bring: stock, onions and mushrooms to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add soy sauce,vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, pepper and hot pepper flakes; simmer for 5 minutes. (Soup can be prepared to this point, cooled in refrigerator, covered and stored for up to 12 hours).
- Meanwhile, cut shrimp in half lengthwise; cut tofu in thin strips, and add to soup; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir water with cornstarch until smooth; add to soup and cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat: drizzle in eggs, whisking with fork to form streamers. Sprinkle with chives.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 thin carrot, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 cup lentils
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup chopped drained tomatoes
1 cup coarsely chopped spinach
fresh lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, carrots, and celery in oil until tender.
- Add garlic, cumin, and allspice, stir well. Add lentils, and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer covered for 25 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and spinach, stir and simmer for 2 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Squeeze in lemon juice from half of a fresh lemon, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Confetti Corn Chowder